.

Expecting Back Pain During Pregnancy?

Most pregnant women generally agree on one point – that back pain is definitely a health concern at some point during their pregnancy.

 

Most pregnant women generally agree on one point — that back pain is definitely a health concern at some point during their pregnancy.

In fact, it is estimated that 50 to 80 percent of all pregnant women experience anything from mild to acute pain that interferes with normal daily living. It usually begins around the 5th to 7th month of pregnancy, but may begin earlier, particularly if a woman was prone to back pain before she became pregnant.

Back pain may cause a pregnant woman to experience lost or interrupted sleep, significant time off from work, an inability to engage in normal activities or even confinement to complete bed rest.

Many times, traditional health care providers counter back pain complaints with the comment — "Well that certainly is normal" — offering few solutions and very little compassion.

What can you do to alleviate back pain during pregnancy?

  • Watch your weight gain — 25-35 pounds (10-15 kg)  is considered fairly normal for a normal pregnancy.
  • Exercise to strengthen the muscles in your neck, back and abdomen. Try yoga or Pilates.
  • Rest as often as possible; use a body pregnancy pillow to help with additional support.
  • If you sit at a desk job, practice good posture and use a footstool.
  • Most importantly, get adjusted regularly!

 

Many women, particularly those who suffer from sciatica, find they receive the greatest relief from regular chiropractic adjustments. A Swedish study found that spinal adjustments, particularly of the sacroiliac joint at the base of the spine, offered significant long-term pain relief in 70 percent of those studied and short-term relief (several days) in the other 30 percent.

Chiropractic adjustments are a safe addition to regular pre-natal care and many chiropractors have special tables to accommodate the needs of their pregnant patients.

Dr. Steven L. Levy is a chiropractor in Woodbury.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Ruby Claire May 03, 2012 at 05:29 AM
What should be the normal weight of a healthy women before pregnancy.. <a href= "http://sheilaburnett.wordpress.com">Sheila burnett</a>
Dr.StevenLevy May 03, 2012 at 11:24 AM
When it comes to weight, there is no normal. Many factors determine whether a person is in a healthy weight range.
J May 03, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Weight in general is a tough question. According to BMI scales- I am almost "morbidly obese" based on my height and weight yet, I wear a size 6 in womens clothes and can fit into even some childrens sized items?? As long as a persons health is not a pressing issue- the number reflected on the scale should not be a tremendous concern.
Henry Taylor August 31, 2012 at 07:04 AM
Unless you have a wonderful boss who allows you a year long maternity leave, chances are, you are going to work while heavily pregnant. Sitting at the desk for long periods of time will only add to the back pain. Take steps to walk around and stretch a little so that your back isn't so stiff. - http://www.paternitycentre.co.uk/

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »