Woodbury voters will be asked to quit claim two parcels of land to two separate property owners at the Woodbury Annual Town Meeting, taking place at 8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, at the Senior Community Center.
First Selectman Gerald 'Jerry' Stomski provided the following background information:
The Board of Selectman in 2008, brought forward a proposal at a town meeting, to sell two parcels for $5,000 each, he said. The two parcels are located at:
- 138 Old Sherman Hill Rd.
- 124 Old Sherman Hill Rd.
The motion passed to sell the two parcels.
"In executing the transaction, it was determined that the town failed to conduct the necessary title search on the property to determine the rightful ownership of the land, prior to bringing it to a town meeting," Stomski said. "In 2011 the current Board of Selectmen sought legal counsel, with an opinion providing that the town should quick claim any rights that it may have to the land to the adjourning property owners, since no clear title on the land can be found."
Interested in Middlebury and Woodbury's news, events, community bulletins, blogs and businesses? Sign up for the free Woodbury-Middlebury Patch daily newsletter, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Town Meeting Notice
All electors and citizens who are qualified to vote in Woodbury town meetings may vote at the regular town meeting and annual town meeting, on the following items:
- To authorize the Board of Selectman to transfer by Quit Claim Deed to Rita A. Calvano and Emilio G. Calvano, Jr., of 138 Old Sherman Hill Road, a certain parcel of real property located adjacent to their property on Old Sherman Hill Road, consisting of 23,225 square feet or 0.533 acres, more or less, for no consideration.
- To authorize the Board of Selectman to transfer by Quit Claim Deed to Walter Theodore Crawford and Julianna Elizabeth Crawford of 124 Old Sherman Hill Road, a certain parcel of real property located adjacent to their property on Old Sherman Hill Road, consisting of 28,681 square feet or 0.658 acres, more or less, for no consideration.
- To receive the 2012 Annual Town Report and a report on the Annual Audit;
- To receive the State of the Town Report;
- To transact such other business as may properly come before said meeting.
Those with physical, hearing or sight-impairment requiring special accommodations, or those seeking additional information, may call the first selectman's office at 203-263-2141.