The following is a press release from the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services:
The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection/ Commission on Fire Prevention and Control is urging all state residents to check their homes to ensure a fire-safe holiday season.
“Cooking fires, heating system fires, and holiday decoration fires all increase during this time of year,” said State Fire Administrator Jeff Morrissette, “By following some simple steps, you can ensure that you and your family have a safe holiday.”
The Commission on Fire Prevention and Control offers the following tips:
- Check all lights for broken insulation or frayed wires. Electrical lighting is a cause of most Christmas tree fires.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets and don’t run extension cords under rugs, across doorways or near heaters.
- When using candles, use a tip-proof candle holder and always blow out candles when you leave the room. Unattended candles are the leading cause of candle fires.
- Make sure your Christmas tree is fresh and water it every day. If a tree dries out it is a tremendous fire hazard.
- Fireplaces should always be used with a screen to catch sparks and embers from coming into the room and dispose ashes in a covered metal container and store it ten feet away from your home. Ashes can maintain enough heat to ignite combustible items for several days.