Whenever I talk to people about Macaroni Kid, I mention how I love to include free and cheap activities for families in the calendar. Raising children can be very expensive, but heading out to some low-cost, and even free, activities can help — especially when one has a large family. This weekend there are a number of free and inexpensive activities to enjoy.
- Home Depot stores around the area (Danbury and Waterbury) are hosting a free children's building workshop on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Kids will build a project (with appropriate help) and leave with their project and an apron.
- The first Saturday in May is Free Comic Book Day. Head over to Legends of Superheros on Saturday at 10 a.m. to pick up your choice of a number of special comics offered for Free Comic Book Day. One per customer while supplies last.
- Each Saturday, the New Britain Museum of American Art has free admission from 10 a.m. until noon.
- Enjoy Shakespeare in the great outdoors with your own chair or blanket.
- For $20 the entire family can enjoy Caroline's Enchanted Garden Fairy and Wizard Festival at the Bellamy-Ferriday House and Garden from 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
- For the bargain hunters, there are a couple of sales to check out this weekend. The first is the book sale at the Middlebury Library. While I do love technology, there is nothing like a grabbing a new read for a dollar or two. Roxbury is having its town-wide tag sale on Saturday.
I am the editor and publisher of Macaroni Kid. Highlighted events in this Patch.com blog are at editorial discretion, though some events may be hosted by paid advertisers of Macaroni Kid, all opinions expressed in this blog are my own.