A blizzard warning is in effect for Middlebury and the rest of northern New Haven County until Saturday, Feb. 9, the National Weather Service reports.
What Makes a Storm a Blizzard?
Strong winds and low temperatures are two of the characteristics of a blizzard. The NWS is forecasting 20 to 30 mph winds with gusts up to 60 mph.
Forecasted Characteristics of the CT Storm
- Snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches
- Temperatures in the upper 20s
- Low visibility: A quarter mile or less
- Heaviest snow: Friday evening into Saturday morning
- Possibility of downed trees and power outages
- Potential for whiteout conditions
The NWS warns that travel could become dangerous due to low visibility, high winds and the potential for whiteout conditions.
Be sure to sign up for the Woodbury-Middlebury Patch breaking news and daily newsletter, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to receive weather-related updates.