Pumpkin pie and pink sugar: These are just two of the cupcake flavors offered by Poor & Pretty of Woodbury, Conn.
But you don't eat them. You bathe with them.
Sami Jo Jensen is the editor and writer of Poor & Pretty, a blog about the arts, fashion, beauty, crafts and cupcakes. She is also the mastermind behind a line of handmade, vegan beauty products she created in 2010, including her cupcake soaps.
Jensen is dreaming of selling her wares at Bust Magazine's Craftacular at World Maker Faire in New York.
But in order to make her dreams come true, she is reaching out to the online community by way of a Kickstarter project. Kickstarter provides an online forum for folks to ask for donations. When you support a fully funded project, you get rewards as a way of saying "thank you."
Jensen, a Tunxis Community College and UConn graduate, is hoping to raise $1,500 for expenses related to the Craftacular.
Going After Her Dreams
"I've been wanting to vend at BUST Magazine's Craftacular since I started selling my cupcake soaps on Etsy in 2010," Jensen said. "I love everything about the magazine and their Craftacular is just a wonderful gathering and celebration of crafty people. This year, I decided to take the plunge and apply to be a vendor — if I don't go after my dreams now, when will I?"
Her Kickstarter project will only be funded if the $1,500 is raised before the deadline: 6:11 p.m. Sunday, August 26.
As of midnight Monday, August 20, Jensen's project has 24 backers who pledged $445.
"The Kickstarter goal is very modest — only $1,500 — but it will help cover the vendor's fee, travel expenses, costs of making lots (I mean lots) of product, and a few things to help make my booth shine a little brighter," said Jensen.
Interested in Middlebury and Woodbury's news, events, community bulletins, blogs and businesses? Sign up for the free Woodbury-Middlebury Patch daily newsletter, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Sampling of Kickstarter Rewards For Your Support
- $5 or more: One 0.15 oz coco balm, a vegan, all-natural lip balm made with cocoa butter and coconut oil.
- $10 or more: One 3.5 oz cupcake soap of your choice.
- $20 or more: Two cupcake soaps, your choice of fragrances.
- $50 or more: One cupcake soap, one box of bath truffles, one coco balm, and one 8 oz. jar of frosting.
- $100 or more: Two cupcake soaps, one box of bath truffles, two coco balms and two jars of frosting.
- $150 or more: Cupcake soap of the month for one year, with shipping to the United States included.