Superman Family Adventures by Art Baltazar and Franco
I mentioned this series coming out back when the last issue of Tiny Titans came out. I love reading comics for kids and all ages titles because they're generally more fun to read than the regular DCU's offerings which are all rated "T for Teen" and are all about "serious business."
This comic starts out with Superman saving Metropolis from a meteorite and then as soon as he's back at the Daily Planet he's off again to stop a trio of giant purple and green robots stomping through the city. The first five pages are in the gallery so you can take a look at this big adventure drawn in Art Baltazar's adorable style.
I'm a huge Superman fan so I'm just going to list off some of what made this so great:
- Superman making puns about what the robots are throwing at him.
- Superboy, Supergirl, and Krypto show up to help and Superman responds, "Great, kids! Be cautious! These robots are dangerous!"
- Superman goes straight to Plan S. He throws a robot into space.
- Jimmy Olsen blushes and has little hearts circling his head when he's saved by Supergirl.
- Lex Luthor steals most of his lines from Gene Hackman.
- Jimmy's adventures getting Perry White his coffee.
- Superman has a big grin on his face while flying off to the Fortress of Solitude with Krypto the Superdog and Fuzzy the Supermouse!
I don't know how somebody could get through this book without getting a big grin on your face.
Over on the DC blog in the last two weeks they had some great behind the scenes looks at this book that you can see here: http://www.dccomics.com/tags/superman-family-adventures and it really makes it hard to wait another month for the next issue.
"Also, Superman has a huge crush on Lois Lane."
-SFA Character Description
If you have little kids who like superheroes or very possibly a kid who always takes a towel to wrap around his or her neck to use as a cape then I suggest you head down to Legends of Superheros in Middlebury and pick up a copy.