On Saturday, July 7th the Fairfield Museum and History Center has planned an evening walking tour from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. to commemorate the 1779 Burning of Fairfield.
On July 7, 1779, the people of Fairfield awoke to a warning shot from the fort at Black Rock, signaling that a British fleet was spotted off the coast.
For two days, Fairfield was under British attack with troops burning virtually all its buildings. This attack was actually one of three attacks, including New Haven and Norwalk, along the Connecticut coastline.
Following the Burning of Fairfield in 1779, there was ongoing worry among citizens about a repeat attack and this concern eventually led to the construction of the Powderhouse in Fairfield, which is located behind the site of Tomlinson Middle School.
This year marks the 223rd anniversary date of the destruction of Fairfield by British troops. This year, the animated walking tour brings to life an exciting piece of Fairfield’s history and will include stops at various homes on or adjacent to the town green with actors portraying prominent citizens. The event is so authentic that actual letters and depositions from 1779 are used. This is living history in action because you can hear the actual dramatic words of Fairfield citizens who were witnesses to the burning of Fairfield.
The rain or shine walking tour will begin at the Fairfield Museum and History Center, located at 370 Beach Road in Fairfield. Each tour is $5 for museum members and $8 for non-members.
The Fairfield Museum is located at 370 Beach Road in Fairfield, CT. Hours are Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and weekends from noon to 4 p.m. Admission is free for members, $5 for adults, $3 for students and free for children age 5 and under. For more information on exhibits and upcoming programs, visit www.fairfieldhs.org or call the Fairfield Museum at 203-259-1598. The Museum annually hosts more than 18,000 visitors.
On July 7 from noon to 5pm (rain date July 8th) , a National Bi-Centennial Farm (25 Hopkins Rd.) located in New Preston Connecticut will be celebrating 225 years of ownership by the same family.
The Hopkins Family has organized the Heritage Festival and is inviting the general public to come and experience this colonial themed event for free! The Heritage Festival, will be replete with music and costumes representing the year 1787.
In 1787, Elijah Hopkins, returning from the Revolutionary War, chose this rich and fertile site on Lake Waramaug to settle his family and start the Hopkins Farm. The farm, has witnessed many diversified forms of agriculture over the years including the raising of sheep, racehorses, grain crops, tobacco, and in the more recent past dairy farming.
In 1979, Bill Hopkins planted the first vines and converted his 19th century barn into a state-of-the-art winery that overlooks the serene waters of beautiful Lake Waramaug. The rest is award winning winemaking history.
Now in business for over 30 years this premier Connecticut Vineyard is celebrating its’ heritage in style. The events from noon to 5 pm at the Heritage Festival will include: Sons of the American Revolution Color Guard Parade at Noon followed by a Proclamation of the Anniversary, honoring American Patriot, Elijah Hopkins.
Adding ambience to the festival, there will be 18th Century Music by Hanford & Finlay, who will play Tavern Songs in addition to performing a family program called “In the Good Old Colony Days."
There will be quilting, spinning and weaving, candle making, rope making, black smithing, kettle corn and open fire cooking displays. The festival will have plenty of fun children's activities and games that will be provided by the Charles Merriman Society. The DAR will be on hand to help with genealogy research and an interesting selection of Colonial Era Arts and Crafts will be for sale. Refreshments, baked goods and food catered by the Hopkins Inn will also be available.